Brit Newbies

Hi there,

So, me and my friend John are making the long pilgrimage from Manchester, England to Telluride for the first time - it was very much a spur of the moment thing and thus didn’t think through the logistics (16h flights/ 7 hour drive from Denver)!

Bearing this in mind, we currently have single day tickets for the Thursday and Sunday (which is fine, as DRM and Emmylou are two of my favourite artists), but through complete laziness we have missed various boats/jetskis to pick up tickets for the Friday/Saturday. I’m constantly checking the ticket exchange, but no look so far!

Are there any recommended activities to do around the area on the Friday/Saturday if we are unsuccessful in our pursuits? Any cultural hotspots/breathtaking hikes that need to be done? I figure all of this may well have been covered in past posts but I figure it’s best to strike up a conversation before we all start sharing each others personal space.

Also, we will be driving down from Denver, and back to Denver on the way back - are there any great secret spots along the way?

Many thanks,

Andy :cheers

Here are a couple Fridays!

http://www.festivarian.com/index.php/topic,26873.0.html

Andy, I have some good news for you. All day long you can sit in a beautiful park and hear some of the best music anywhere. It’s called the Workshops, and they take place in Elks Park downtown T-ride. You’ll get up close with many artists that play on the main TBF stage. Some will bring their bands, others will take the opportunity to play and jam with their co-artists.

Heading to the workshops is one of my favorite activities at the Fest. In fact there are days that I spend more time there than on my tarp.

So don’t worry - you’ve got a second way to catch a lot of great music during the fest!

There are actually some 4 day tickets still available at the PB website.
If you are looking for hikes, the Bear Creek Falls trail is fairly easy and beautiful. The trail up to Bridal Veil a little bit harder.
If you are doing the touristy thing, what I would recommend is that you take a day and visit one of the numerous hot springs in Colorado. Folks have their favourites, some are family friendly, some you can hike to and enjoy au naturel. If you are in the real touristy mode, stop for a day at Glenwood Springs.

You neglected to say where you will be staying or camping.
I want to be sure that you are aware that you you have to purchase camping passes at the various campgrounds or have reservations at the local hotels/condos unless you are staying out of town.
Hotel reservations book six to nine months in advance and only limited campgrounds allow single day festival passes to camp. Most of them require a four day pass or all four single day passes.
Good luck. :thumbsup

If you make it to Telluride before having Friday and Saturday secured, know that you can usually find extra tickets in town. People will generally post their extras on a board right next to the box office, so you’ll likely be able o find them there.

And that is free… :cheers

Hi all,

cheers for all your help - I think maybe we will head on down to the workshops to check that out, it does sound grand! That is very good news!

Tom, we haven’t sorted anything out yet - but we’re looking at Lawson Hill as I believe that’s the only ground to take single day tickets. If we do end up only having single-day tickets for Thursday and Sunday, are we still permitted to camp on the Friday & Saturday nights? I think we should be able to pick up tickets to the festival, especially if there are last-resort tickets near the box office!

Buckeye, thanks for the walking tips - I have heard good things about the Bridal Veil. I would love to stop by Colorado Springs but our time frame is a little bit ridiculous (i forgot to mention) - we fly back on the 22nd so it only really gives us 2 days after TBF. We were thinking of stopping by Gunnison Gorge and then maybe San Isabel for the night - unless there’s anywhere that comes with a glowing recommendation?

Thanks,

Andy

Also, are there any good institutions/joints in Denver that come recommended?

So you found Lawson Hill camping tickets?

Hot Springs are everywhere in Colorado, not just in the town of Colorado Springs. Kind of like the hot bath houses of Japan. :wink:

Welcome to both you and John. You’re going to love this place!

Auntie Hope :festivarian2 :green

Lawson Hill has not sold out, so youll have no issues there. You can set up camp at Lawson starting Tuesday and stay as late as Monday morning after fest, regardless of how many days you have passes to the festival.

What kind of stuff are you looking to do in Denver? Lots of great music venues, parks, breweries, distilleries, and other fun stuff to do.

(Really? Nobody else wanted to take this set-up? OK, I’ll go first…)

Finding joints in Denver is easier than ever. Make sure you have ID.

Aw dude, I was too blazed to even catch that one, whoa,
Good catch bro’

Based upon historical trends & barring any last minute surprise announcements, I don’t think you’ll have any issue getting in all four days. There have been plenty of 4-day passes appearing on the ticket exchange board for the past several weeks:

http://www.festivarian.com/index.php/board,31.0.html

I realize it’s a bit of a gamble of sorts (especially in light of you having to cross a 3k mile “moat”), but I suspect there will be a significant increase in 4-days available as time progresses leading up to the festival … enabling a “buyers market” - so to speak. If you can unload even one of your single day tickets, you’ll in all likelihood “break even” on costs, if not come out even better (vs. seeking out your remaining single day tix). It would also open up more opportunities re: camping, and Lawson Hill would still work regardless.

Ha, fantastic - maybe that was a complete Freudian slip on my part! We only have a few days in Denver, but probably music venues and places to eat! I figure the Mountains will give us our fix of fresh air (or maybe ‘herbal’ air)

It’s very good that there are hot pools everywhere - might need a long soak on Monday!

Mars, that is something I’ve been thinking about more and more - in hindsight I probably should have controlled my emotions and waited for some more 4-day tickets to come available. I will have a chat with John but it does make more sense to me!

Thanks for all your help - I’m more than willing to bring some English goods over if anyone has requests?

Andy

Would you like to just sell those single day tickets and find a couple of Town Parks and camp with the rest of us? If so, send me a PM. Kamp Duk Tape has hosted international festivirgins before and we can help make the Town Park experience happen if you’re interested…

If you’ve got lodging lined up and don’t want to camp then the above advice is correct - that you can see plenty of music on the free stage in town at Elks Park on any days that you don’t have a festival ticket.

Cheers!

You should join Bevin and the rest of us in town park. You will never regret it and have the time of your life.

And that’s what it is all about! Right on :flower
I am happy to offer up some Denver eateries if you make it back into town :woohoo

Alrighty, Town Parkers, these 2 Brits are considering joining Kamp Duk Tape for the Town Park experience and will be selling their single day tickets. Let us know if you come across a pair of Town Park tickets for these Festivirgins!

I just called Tom who just posted two town park tickets so you have them if you want. Looking forward to seeing you in Telluride.